Friday 13 November 2009

changed and the un-changed

We all believe and agree we are in the modern age.Along with technology, we have also advanced , if not have lots of things that has changed in and around us.This huge world has shrunk to become a "global village" with greater advancements in technology.
Sometimes, As I run about, doing my routine,I stop to wonder how things have changed over time in me. From Dosas and Idli platter that I fed on almost everyday, we have changed to "whole grain" toast with "fat free spreads" for most breakfasts, Not just because I am quite inefficient in waking up any early than 6.30,but also because they are healthy , easily bought and we don't mind eating it.This is just an instance how the day's beginning has changed.
Our clothes, fashion sense, methods of going about a problem,living style are some other things influenced by modern times.
However, I still pray , religiously follow all rituals and festivals to my best ability, which again most of us do.A link to what has been learnt by us from our past.Most time we do this sensibly , but some times, we tend to believe in things that could sound just so unreasonable, yet we follow.
Like for Instance, I never accept anything with my left hand from anyone.
Even if I am hanging on to the holding rail in a crazy roller coaster ride(hypothetically) and some one from the left corner in the back seat offers me something, I will still do some stunt and stretch my right hand by turning in a weird position ,but No! I won't use left hand.
Sounds silly, to show such partiality towards your own hands, but that s the way I am.

A lot of such believes come and go as generations pass by, But the other day i saw this little boy of Indian origin standing beside his mum and incidentally stepped on her.Immediately he touched her and then put the hand back on his heart and forehead *. I was surprised and happy that the mum had taught her son something which we all learn and follow as Indians. I was only hoping, she would have also told the reason behind that act, Or else one day the child would think it is a belief without any reason behind it.

P.S: * It is a method of bowing to the person when you have hurt them ,which also means recognising all human beings and their feelings as you would care about your own.

3 comments:

Reflections said...

Like Benjamin Disraeli says "Change is inevitable. Change is constant."

This is nothing connected to the essence of ur post but the word Global Village immediately reminded me of the shopping festival we have here in Dubai.
For 1 month every year they hold this fair on a large ground where people from different countries put up stalls and sell their wares. We get to see, imbibe & buy so many curious things from different countries like Vietnam, Taiwan to Turkey, Syria to Russia, US, UK to Australia and Tasmania.

itsyvitsy said...

Agree with the "quote" quoted by @Reflections.

Right from our childhood we are fed these seemingly weird practices. They, of course, sound weird but have a reason behind them. The causality is there. But the issue is that sometimes even the elders cannot provide us the right reasoning and hence the practices turn into superstition and then drop-off our list of good practices.

And about the child apologizing using that gesture, it has a reason and the reason I learnt only a couple of years back! It is to emphasize that there is God in everyone and Gods are not to be stepped on. So, the boy actually apologized to the God within his mother.

Swathy said...

@ reflections: oh, yes, I ve heard of that festival.. by the sound of it, must be a wonderful experience.

@ vittal: u ve again just put the words right. I dint know how to write it.
:) thank you.