Friday 19 June 2009

good, old days



I ll do this tag that she has written about.Here,I tag myself..[*imagine a tag like a suitcase tag getting fixed to my wrist :P] .I have written many a posts about memories of the good old days here .





Still there are so many in the old barrel to be pulled out.



1) Birthdays


The first one i remember was being 5 year old and dressed in deep green silk skirt and blouse, jasmine arranged traditionally on my hair like here..[ya, imagine a 5 year old!! :D]


with loads of relatives around me.That was the last of the birthday s that was celebrated at such a scale.


Then it was just a sweet dish, wishes, blessing and of course cards and calls from my best friends all throughout school ,but the day still thrilled me :) .




College brought out a new dimension with mid night parties, cake smashing on face and head,surprise gifts,special calls[:)] from far away friends from school and not to ever- forget the "budday bumps"!!(For those who don't know what it is.. its just you being held by 6-8-10 people[depending on how heavy you are! ;)] by your hands and legs and hurled up in the air and then left at the mercy of gravity and caught when you are about to hit the floor..)


And at present, I am happy with a quite birthday with just the few close friends wishes..


dining out and no cake please..think about all those calories!! :P




2) Books and reading



As a 6 year old,I was like that enthusiastic puppy[;)] around my neighbour's kids lets call them Y & Z.Both older than me by quite a few years, they used to take me to school and back, play with me..[rather keep a watch on me] and I adored them,followed them,thought them to be my sisters.


Their dad and mum were both into literature,hence both the girls were very good readers for their age and even wrote poetry and short stories.


I was first taken by them to the local government library and helped choose a book and thus began a life time affair for me.


I started with huge lettered picture books and soon within a year graduated to whatever X and Y would pick for me.They moved to another town within a year after that,but by then I was addicted to books.I explored the world of Enid Blyton,graduated to short stories and fables from all around the world, digested lives of famous personalities and basically whatever the library could offer to a a high school student was read by me over and over again by the time I was 12.



Every day of the vacation except Monday-the weekly off for the library began with me running/cycling to the library at sharp 10A.M when the place opened, read a magazine or the latest book there borrow books and then come home for lunch, read a little more,play with friends for an hour,then read again till night.yes, I was that crazy!!


My cousin A who used to come over to stay with us for the holidays hated this habit of mine because he could never imagine why should I be reading over the vacations.. :) :)instead of playing the whole day.



Hmmmmm..back to present! :)




Anyway,though I miss the good old days, I cannot imagine rewinding it.It is much better the way it is now.. for good or worse.. I like this..

2 comments:

Swaram said...

Fond memories. I think it was the 5th bday which was marked by a grand celebration for me too. I was addicted to Famous Five n Secret Seven so much that I had a book in one hand all the while. I used to read it while we hid somewhere during hide-n-seek :P

Swathy said...

@ SWARAM:oh yes, the famous five, how could I forget it?

@shwetha:thanks, hope I ll write soon :)