Monday 5 October 2009

Ganesh (contd)

As I mentioned in my previous post, our trip home was every moment worth it.And this time I got an opportunity to meet new people (both extended family and otherwise).

Aj’s native place Honnavar is an abode of nature at its best and most affectionate people, that I could not help but fall in love with this small town . Resting along the Arabian sea on one side and huge green mountains bordering it from the other side, this place has still managed to be pollution free and almost calm inspite of NH17 cutting right across. We stayed there for 5 days and I learnt, admired, enjoyed countless tiny moments and knew...My first Ganesh festival with my husband’s family is going to be memorable for my whole life to come.


We went to get our ‘Ganesh’ a very cute one, I must say sitting royally over a ‘shankha’(conch shell) (see the picture above).And while we were there- I, for the first time in my life had a glimpse at the life of people who have dedicated their lives to making these idols year after year. As I entered their house cum studio, there was an enormous sea of Ganesh idols(picture 2).each one different from the other, every expression beautifully drawn and some incomplete with the master himself giving finishing touches and make these idols come alive, well… almost.

Probably no words or pictures can completly appreciate the creative work of these people ,But nevertheless, I am just posting a few frozen moments .Hope you will like it.:)










This post is dedicated to those talented people I am sure, exist in countless un-known town and villages all over our country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, Another Important thing is Swaram has been kind enought to award me with my very first blog award(s).
I ve added them to my page and Thank you so much for them.
This appreciation means a lot to me. :) :)
Till next time,
Bye.

14 comments:

Chhaya said...

Hey Swathy!!!

such beautiful pictures you have posted! i especially loved that Ganesha sitting on the plastic watr tank :D

thank u for dropping by @ my blog.

keep in touch!

PS: put up the _Followers_ button on ur blog. i wud love to keep track

Swaram said...

Gr8 pics there! Loved them all esp. the one on the Mangoes and Coconuts! Gr8 piece of art!

God bless them all and u too for hvng shared them with us :)

Swathy said...

Chaya,
Thanks for visitng my page.
yes, isint he cute? really creative.
it was to for the water board offices.:) as I later found out. And I have added the followers button.
Hope to hear more about what you think.
:)

Swathy said...

Hi Swat,
yes, those 2 caught my eyes first,the moment I entered the small shed where these artists work.
yes, I hope people wont stop buying ganesha because of raising expenses and all.

itsyvitsy said...

The idols I see here try to capture contemporary thoughts. I like the creativity involved here. Wonderful. And it is very true that these people are very talented. There are no more words to express my thoughts here. Just wonderful.

Wormy said...

OMG! Such lovely idols. I've never seen anyone making them though. And I really appreciate such people and their creativity. Beautiful. Nice Capture!

R said...

just to say hi :)

Swathy said...

@ Vittal:
Ya, they are quite a blend of religion with modern thoughts.
like the ganesh on a shark, he was made for a fishing industry's celebrations.
And there was one sitting on a tank,he was for the water board.:)And the creator was so enthusiatic about explaining all this to me inspite of being so busy.
really loved that.
@ swethz: thanks for your appreciation.
read my previous comment to vittal to know how creative the idol maker is.
@ rp: Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! :)

phatichar said...

Wonderful post! :-)

Swathy said...

@ phatichar,
Thank you :)

Reflections said...

Wow...so many Ganeshas...seriously the artisans are so creative....such a pity they dont get their due.

Swathy said...

@ relections: Thanks for writing a comment. Its true, so many artisans lack enough funding and encouragment and they eventually stop this work! Hopefully that wont happen to this man.

itsyvitsy said...

I have updated my little blog. Have a dekko sometime. :)

Unknown said...

nice pics of Ganesha...One of my fav.. Love all the pics.. keep updating your blog.. Love to read your writing